By richard adeney, Feb 4 2020 05:28PM
Another dry fly I use a lot is a pattern designed to represent a small cadis fly. This fly is simple to tie and is based on three of my favourite materials; which are, deer hair CDC and hare’s ear. These materials are very versatile and readily available.
The pattern of this fly is as follows:
1. Hook: size 16 to 22. I often use course fishing hooks for this fly as they are nearly always barbless and have a straight eye.
2. Thread: 8/0 to match body colour
3. Body: lighter hare’s ear dubbing
4. Thorax: darker hare’s ear dubbing. Picked out to form legs
5. Wing: under wing of deer hair. Over wing of CDC
The fly is designed to fish low in the water and imitates a range of small flies that the trout eats. Fish it in an evening in July and August it can be deadly.